Conservation of the Early 16th-Century Tikkayat al-Gulshani Complex in Historic Cairo
This project, which includes documentation and planning activities for its eventual reuse by artisans, directly supports the U.S. embassy’s efforts to spur economic development in an area that has yet to rebound economically from the political disruptions of 2011.
The Tikkayat al-Gulshani was the first “takiya,” or residential religious complex, built in Cairo after the Ottoman conquest of 1517. [Photo credit: U.S. Department of State]
Location: Cairo, Egypt, Northern Africa, Africa Organiser(s): World Monuments Fund Funder(s): U.S. Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation Funding received: $160,000 Commencement Date: 09/2017 Project Status: CompletedProject owner? Update this project