Khiva is an open-air museum. The old part of the city is surrounded by a fortress of 6-7 meters with a height of 2,250 meters and has four gates. The castle has 53 historical and architectural buildings.
The Khorezm Historical and Revolutionary Museum was founded on April 27, 1920 by the Khorezm People's Republic in the Palace of the Khiva Khan in the Old Ark.
November 3, 1967 in the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan took place HIU, in accordance with the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan dated June 29, 1969 in the State Historical and Architectural Museum of Khiva "Ichan-Kala" was established.
At the exhibitions of the museum-preserve, it covers the ancient history of Khorezm's history and its practical art, craft, culture and literary life. The total area is 26 hectares.